Friday, February 9, 2018

Roseate Spoonbill

I saw one of my favorite birds, the roseate spoonbill, in two locations on my January trip to Florida. The best view was a spoonbill at Merritt Island NWR. I saw it feeding on some mud flats and was able to get quite close and get it walking along in the mud. 
I can't get enough of this bird. Crazy red legs, scarlet wingpatch, yellow blotch on the wing and on the head. 
A closer view. It looks like a space alien wearing a plastic cap. 
A mile or two distant I saw a spoonbill in a canal among some other birds, including a great egret and a great blue heron. I got some pictures of it flying which I love. 
Looks like an odd pink angel.
Head stooped forward, legs dangling, it looks like an awkward old man.
The shades of red, pink and orange are incredible. 
Finally, I saw a spoonbill at Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland. This spoonbill was not as colorful, evidencing that it was either a younger bird or had a less rich diet,or both.  
Pretty tame when compared to the spoonbills above.

2 comments:

  1. It always surprises me to see such brilliant colors on birds in the U.S. If you'd shown me this picture and asked me where I thought it was, I wouldn't have said the U.S. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The spoonbill is as colorful and goofy looking as any bird we've ever seen.

      Delete