Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mabel's Lobster Claw - Kennebunkport, Maine

Mabel's Lobster Claw 
is located at 124 Ocean Ave in Kennebunkport, Maine (phone: 207-967-2562). 
We ate at Mabel's at the end of an overly ambitious food day. In fact, we almost didn't go at all. So it may have fared better if it had been first on the list of the three restaurants we visited that day (the others being the Maine Diner and The Clam Shack). I was on my quest to try the top-rated lobster rolls. I got a lobster roll which included two sides: I got coleslaw and french fries. 
I only ate a few of the french fries, just to try them, and they were average. I only ate a bit of the coleslaw. It was unusual, but also average. The dressing was different than any I've had before and there were no other visible ingredients. The lobster roll was beautiful. It had big chunks and plenty of mayonnaise and a little lettuce. 
The only problem was that it was too cold, kind of like eating hard butter instead of butter after it has melted - the taste was muted. I think the taste would have improved significantly if I'd let it sit for about 20 minutes. Judy got their clam chowder, which was rated the no. 4 clam chowder in New England by 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late. It was thick, which I like, and it tasted good. 
But it had lots of potatoes, too many per ratio of clams. It was not as good as the clam chowder at either Cabby Shack in Plymouth, MA or Splash Cafe in Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo, CA. It was also not as good as the seafood chowder at Maine Diner, but that's not a fair comparison as it has more ingredients and is more expensive. That said, it was still very good clam chowder. We were also provided corn bred and it was great. We had some wonderful corn bread in New England. Between the three seafood restaurants we tried, this one seemed a little less oriented to seafood than either The Clam Shack or Maine Diner and given a choice between the three, I would probably go to Maine Diner first, then to The Clam Shack. I wish we lived closer so I could have more opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment