Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Baked Goat Leg

This is a continuation of my whole goat experience. I mixed about three tablespoons of course salt mixed with smashed papaya seeds and rubbed down the two front goat legs, 
then I marinated the goat legs in a mixture of mashed papaya (the orange substance in the picture), lime juice, olive oil, white grape juice and other seasonings. 
The papaya and lime juice help to break down the meat. The beets were placed on top to add some red color to the meat. It marinated all night and the next morning. Separately, I cut up two sweet onions, added some olive oil, and fried it for about three minutes. 
I cleaned the papaya off the marinated goat legs, and placed them in a baking pan. 
I put that onions over the goat legs, 
then heated up 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth and some chicken bullion in the microwave, to near boiling, and added the broth over the goat legs and put it in the oven at 350 degrees, 
covered in foil for 45 minutes. Then I took off the foil and cooked it about another 1/2 hour. 
The onion/broth mixture was very good. I carved up the goat and it was not as tender as I had hoped, but it had a nice flavor. 
There is not a lot of meat on the front leg of a goat. In fact, there is not a lot of meat on the whole goat, taking into account what you start with and ultimately what you end up with. This goat was tougher than the store-bought goat I've cooked and eaten, but it had a good flavor, albeit tough. However, I note that goat meat is one of the 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die

No comments:

Post a Comment