Saturday, January 23, 2010

Duck Soup

For Christmas, Andrew got me some unusual food items: one was a dry salted duck leg;



 and another was dry salted turkey gizzards.



When I had Peking duck at Lotus Garden recently, I decided to use the remaining duck carcass, along with the above items, as the base for some duck soup.


I put a bunch of water in a pot, added the dry salted duck leg,


the turkey gizzards,


and the cut up duck carcass.


I also added two large chopped up onions, about four or five sticks of celery, cut into pieces, a couple of small sweet peppers, 3 cubes of chicken bouillion, quite a bit of paprika and pepper, and salt. When it had simmered for several hours I ladeled out the duck leg and cut it into pieces,


and pulled the duck meat off the duck carcass. I ate some of the turkey gizzards and they were so tough that I did not cut them up and put them in the soup - they just added flavoring to the broth. The soup was actually quite good. Nice for a cold winter day. I have been thinking of trying something like this each time I get a Peking duck carcass, but Andrew's additional items were my incentive.


No comments:

Post a Comment