Sunday, December 27, 2009

Lamb Stew

On a cold winter day there is not a better comfort food than lamb stew. Judy has a recipe that is absolutely dynamite. It is thick, it is very lamby and when horseradish sauce is added to it, is spicy and has a pretty good kick. I decided to try making it on my own recently and over-emphasized the ingrediants I love, seeing if I could make it even better. Judy's recipe is here. Her recipe calls for a pound of lamb stew meat. She has suggested that using meat with bone in it might enhance the flavor. I have figured that if a little lamb is good, a lot of lamb might be better. So I bought some shoulder scraps and shoulder steaks, three pounds plus worth, although a fair portion of the weight was bone.


Her recipe calls for three or four cloves of garlic, cut up. I put in two heads of garlic, about 30 cloves, cut up. I also used three or four onions, more than the two she recommended.

I cut up the lamb as good as I could, leaving the bones in, coated it in flour and fried it briefly in a large cookpot.


I also put in extra oil.


After boiling the meat and other ingredients, I pulled the meat out and de-boned it the best I could. I didn't have any mushrooms. The stew turned out great. I would like to have had the mushrooms in it and I should have added some more beef bullion given all the extra ingredients I put in.


The stew was extra meaty. The garlic was not overpowering, in fact, I would probably put more in the next time. I liked the extra meat, would probably add more of it as well. Judy and I polished off the stew in just a few days, just the two of us. We had several days of cool weather and the stew was perfect for it. Lamb meat is about as good as it gets and lamb stew, as stews go, is as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment